Students who work with Poetry In Voice/Les voix de la poésie’s materials can meet many of the core competencies in Secondary English Language Arts.
Quebec Education Program
Secondary English Language Arts, Cycle Two (SELA2)
Connections to Overall Expectations
Competency 1: Talk
Establishes a repertoire of resources for communicating and learning in specific contexts
- Investigates the affordances of spoken language as a mode of communication
- Examines some of the aesthetic qualities of spoken language
- Examines the affordances of genres
- Extends the range of strategies for collecting data needed for use in specific genres
Participates in the social practices of the classroom and community in specific contexts
- Investigates the uses of spoken language in the school and community
- Engages in a process of self-evaluation and reflection
Interacts with peers and teacher in specific contexts
- Collaborates with peers to construct knowledge about how things are done
- Applies procedural and meaning making strategies to achieve a purpose
- Contributes to team efforts as an interactive and critical listener
Competency 2: Reading
Integrates reading profile, stance and strategies to make sense of text in a specific context
- Draws on prior experience and the features of a genre to make sense of a text
- Adjusts reading strategies and stance to the context
- Develops research and organizational strategies for working with information
Talks about own response to a text within a classroom community
- Deepens own meaning(s) of a text in discussions with other readers
- Situates meanings within own expereinces and the world of text, in order to transform initial readings into more conscious interpretations
- Considers possible reasons for for own responses and the responses of others to clarify and reshape the relationship between self as reader and the text
Interprets the relationship(s) between reader, text and context in light of own responses
- Draws on own reading profile , including knowledge of textual structures and features, to locate textual details that support own interpretations
- Constructs interpretations that embody both own world and the world of the text
Competency 3: Production
Extends repertoire of resources for producing texts
- Immerses self in texts to learn how they are constructed
- Investigates the codes and conventions of various genres
- Creates criteria for what makes texts effective
- Examines the affordances of different modes and genres to make production decisions
- Uses models of different texts to apply chosen features in own work
Constructs a relationship between writer/producer, text and context
- Understands that all texts are constructed in specific contexts for specific audiences and purposes
Adapts a process to produce texts in specific contexts
- Uses feedback strategies to improve own productions and support peers
- Monitors own learning
CEGEP students who prepare for the competition can meet all of the following curriculum requirements.
- Analysing and producing various forms of discourse.
- Applying a critical approach to literary genres.
- Applying a critical approach to a literary theme.
- Basic to advanced communication in French.
- Engaging in a cultural or literary subject in French.