To prepare for the school contest, each classroom winner memorizes a second poem.
When a student chooses their second poem, they are also choosing their competition stream:
- 1st poem in English + 2nd poem in English = English Stream
- 1st poem in English + 2nd poem in French = Bilingual Stream
- 1st poem in French + 2nd poem in English = Bilingual Stream
- 1st poem in French + 2nd poem in French = French Stream
A school can name only one champion in each prize stream: one English Stream champion, one Bilingual Stream champion, and one French Stream champion.
When a student is named a school champion, one of two things can happen next:
- That school champion can move on to compete in the Junior Online Finals (for students in grades 6-8) or the Online Qualfiers (for students in grades 9-12).
- The school champion might decide to not participate in the rest of the competition (but really, why not take it to the next level and see what could happen?).