Students in grades 6, 7, and 8 and those in grade 6 and Secondary 1 & 2 in Quebec are eligible to compete in The Poetry In Voice Junior Recitation Competition, which takes place in the Fall. This year, recitation videos must be submitted to the Junior Online Finals by Thursday, December 5, 2019.
At every level of the competition, students’ recitations are evaluated according to our Scoring Rubric, our Evaluation Sheet, and our Accuracy Score Sheet. Students, please refer to those documents and to our recitation tips to help you compete successfully.
Students across Canada recite one poem for their classroom contest.
Each class names one winner.
Each classroom winner memorizes and recites a second poem for their school contest and selects their competition stream: English, Bilingual, or French.
A school can name up to 3 champions (only one English Champion, one Bilingual Champion, and one French Champion).
Each school champion films 2 recitation videos and their teacher uploads them to our website. Their recitations are evaluated by our judges.
In each stream, the top 3 reciters win:
- 1st place: $300 for the student, $200 for the purchase of poetry books for their school library
- 2nd place: $200 for the student, $200 for the purchase of poetry books for their school library
- 3rd place: $100 for the student, $200 for the purchase of poetry books for their school library
At a Team Regional, each school is represented by a trio of reciters, and up to eight schools can participate.
The 3 top-scoring teams win:
- 1st place: $100 for each student
- 2nd place: $60 for each student
- 3rd place: $40 for each student
Team Regionals are NOT on the path that leads to the Online Finals.