The Road Ahead: Poems at the Crossroads
A Poetry Mixtape Edited by Neil Surkan
Whereas my eyes land on the shoreline of “the arrival of Europeans in North America
opened a new chapter in the history of Native Peoples.” Because in others, I hate the act...
for M. Maylor
Dear Anne Carson:
My friend read me the poem where your mom
said that the dead walk backwards.
You thought this myth arose...
I triage the landscape. The prairies
are numb today and so am I.
I am too thin. Built
like I won't explode on hot
afternoons, a mirror
to the sky. My...
11 am. Time to wake up.
Muscles sore, jaw clenched, warm light
scattering dreams of violence across
the bedroom. I've chosen a self...
In every which way, I am living
for potential. I’ve mined cadmium
enough to roulette with Death
and Mars, bloodshot brute,
is swollen in my honour.
I was ready for a new experience.
All the old ones had burned out.
If I am judged
If I am punished
If I am dismissed
If I am misunderstood
If I am celebrated
If I am envied
If I am competed with
To be a good
ex/current friend for R. To be one last
inspired way to get back at R. To be relationship
advice for L. To be advice
We are currently adding to the Mixtape playlists, so check back soon and often! Send us your recitation of one the poems in this Mixtape, and we may add it to the Playlist!
- Asghar, Fatimah. If They Come For Us. One World, 2018.
- Conrad, CA. ECODEVIANCE: (Soma)tics for the Future Wilderness. Wave, 2014.
- Corral, Eduardo. Guillotine. Graywolf, 2020.
- Kirby. What Do You Want To Be Called? Anstruther, 2020.
- Matuk, Nyla, ed. Resisting Canada. Signal, 2019.
- Naga, Noor. Washes, Prays. M & S, 2020.
- Phillips, Rowan Ricardo. Living Weapon. FSG, 2020.
- Queyras, Sina. Expressway. Coach House, 2009.
- Rankine, Claudia. Don’t Let Me Be Lonely. Graywolf, 2004.
- Ritland, Laura. East and West. Signal, 2018.
- Ritvo, Max. Four Reincarnations. Milkweed, 2016.
- Shapero, Natalie. Popular Longing. Copper Canyon, 2021.
- Stinzi, John Elizabeth. Junebat. Anansi, 2020.
- Trumpfheller, Bradley. Reconstructions. Sibling Rivalry, 2020.
- Xu, Wendy. You Are Not Dead. Cleveland State University Poetry Center, 2013.