My Body, My House: Disability Poetics
A Poetry Mixtape Edited by Ashley-Elizabet...
When the doctors burrowed into my body, they unearthed a slew of tumours. Growths speckled across lungs and kidneys. (Later, they would find the duo nestled into my cortex.) A Starry...
I'd like to close the distance between us:
where you end, where I begin,
but your skin stops me,
I can't find my way in.
If I could, I'd...
bedtime ritual summon a stranger tonight you
linger on my laptop screen
in the apartment hallway a door slams like a...
Let me be a ''poet of cripples" not
a patient etherized upon a table,
not a brain floating within a body.
In a moment I must be a body
in the place...
The Fatigue is just fatigue. It
sprays my body like
a numbing agent. Say the
way I sleep might not be
working, say the way I eat
might not be working...
It walks behind me in the park and proceeds
Spruce, inadequate, and alien
I stood at the side of the road
It was the only life I had....
Dad reads aloud. I follow his finger across the page.
Sometimes his finger moves past words, tracing white space.
He makes the Moon say something new every night
I like the lady horses best,
how they make it all look easy,
like running 40 miles per hour
is as fun as taking a nap, or grass.
I like their lady horse...
- Bodymap by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha
- Deaf Republic by Ilya Kaminsky
- Deluge by Leila Chatti
- Tender Points by Amy Berkowitz
- The Danger Model by Madelaine Caritas Longman
- A Net to Catch My Body in Its Weaving by Katie Farris
- Odes to Lithium by Shira Erlichman
- Disability Visibility: First-Person Stories from the Twenty-first Century by Alice Wong
- The Undying by Anne Boyer
- An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness by Kay Redfield Jamison
- Frog Hollow Press Dis/Ability Series of Chapbooks
- Beauty is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability
- The Collected Schizophrenias: Essays by Esmé Weijun Wang
- Disfigured: On Fairy Tales, Disability, and Making Space by Amanda Leduc