Montreal, March 24, 2022 – Poetry In Voice/Les voix de la poésie is proud to announce the nine finalists of its annual senior poetry recitation contest.
Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, over 10,000 students across Canada learned a poem by heart this year. School champions participated in online qualifiers and the 42 students who obtained the highest scores advanced to the semifinals, where their videos were judged by a panel of poets. The semi-finalists all received $250 each in prize money. During the National Finals, a total of nearly $35,000 will be awarded to the winners and their school libraries.
Here are our finalists!
- Bem Denga from Webber Academy, Calgary, Alberta
- Al Gilbert from Kildonan-East Collegiate, Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Stephanie Omorotionmwan from All Saints High School, Calgary, Alberta
- Lauren Altomare from Northern Secondary School, Toronto, Ontario
- Amira Aouchiche, from École internationale de Montréal, Québec
- Nadine Berdous from Collège Jean-Eudes, Montréal, Québec
- Sarah Hamdi from University of Toronto Schools, Toronto, Ontario
- Victoria Ngoy Ndombe from Villa Ste-Marcelline, Westmount, Québec
- Camille Racicot from Cégep du Vieux Montréal, Montréal, Québec
The nine finalists will participate in our National Finals on April 21st, held online once again this year. The winners of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each section of the contest will be announced at our final event.
Each finalist will refilm their recitations and these new versions will be judged by a jury of poets: Michael Crummey, Fiona Tinwei Lam and Brandon Wint will judge the recitations in English; Daria Colonna, Flavia Garcia and Baron Marc-André Lévesque will judge the recitations in French. Former CBC Radio personality Johanne Blais will be hosting the National Finals, and the video of the event will be available on Poetry In Voice's website: https://www.poetryinvoice.com/recite/senior-nationals
- 30 -
About Poetry In Voice/Les voix de la poésie:
Founded by Scott Griffin, chairman and founder of the illustrious Griffin Trust for Excellence In Poetry, Poetry In Voice/Les voix de la poésie is a registered charity that inspires students across Canada to read, recite, and write poetry. In addition to running two national student recitation competitions and many local team recitation contests, the organization also provides an anthology of classic and contemporary poems, comprehensive teaching materials, and a network of over 300 poets who visit classrooms, create educational materials, and judge recitation contests, all at no cost to schools or teachers. Poetry In Voice/Les voix de la poésie acknowledges the support of the Canada Council for the Arts.
For all media enquiries, including interviews with the competitors, contact Rorie Bruce, e: firstname.lastname@example.org, c: 204-781-1769