Students in grades 9, 10, 11, and 12, and those in Secondary 3, 4, 5, and CEGEP in Quebec are eligible to compete in The Poetry In Voice Senior Recitation Competition, which takes place in the Winter and Spring. This year, ONLY 2 recitation videos for the Online Qualifiers must be uploaded by March 7, 2019.
At every level of the competition, recitations are evaluated according to our Scoring Rubric, our Evalution Sheet, and our Accuracy Score Sheet. Students, please refer to those documents and to our recitation tips to help you compete successfully.
Students across Canada recite one poem in their classroom contest.
Each class names one winner.
Each classroom winner memorizes and recites a second poem and selects their competition stream: English, Bilingual, or French.
A school can name up to 3 champions (only one champion per stream).
Each school champion films 2 recitation videos and their teacher uploads them to our website. Their recitations are evaluated by our judges.
The 24 top-scoring students are invited with a teacher to participate in the National Finals, with travel and accommodation provided by Poetry In Voice.
Competitors in the English Stream and the French Stream are asked to learn a third poem by heart to recite at the National Finals. See our rules for details.
On the evening of the finals, the top 3 competitors in the English, Bilingual, and French Streams win prizes:
- 1st place: $5,000 for the student, $1,000 for their school library, with $500 reserved for the purchase of poetry books
- 2nd place: $1,000 for the student, $500 for the purchase of poetry books for their school library
- 3rd place: $500 for the student, $250 for the purchase of poetry books for their school library
A trio of champions from your school competes against teams from other schools in your area.
The top-scoring 3 teams are awarded prizes:
- 1st place: $100 for each student
- 2nd place: $60 for each student
- 3rd place: $40 for each student
Team Regionals are NOT on the path that leads to the National Finals.